Monday, October 09, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving


It has almost been a month since my last post! I feel like i haven't really stopped moving since then. I came out of my depression then went warp speed ahead. i suppose it is really hard to be depressed when you have very little time to think. Here is a list of some of the things i have accomplished in that time with a very short summary which i intend on expanding on later.

  • National Spinabifida Conference 2006: It was held at the Fantasy Land Hotel in Edmonton, and was a weekend full of so many events and sessions, a few emotional breakdowns, a very cute photographer, a whole bunch of just completely amazing people i am so glad i got to meet, and accumulated Sunday with a whole bunch of happy tears. and i don't cry happy tears very often.
  • I discovered that my friend Devon can actually be a very nice guy at times. Also discovered i really hate being locked in Bathrooms. First at a Sushi restaurant, and the next a flooded bathroom stall at a super store!

  • I went out to Karaoke with some older friends of mine and had a Blast. My friend is an amazing singer. too bad everyone else really sucked!
  • I planned Thanksgiving dinner for my roommate/ best friend, his fiance and their parents who haven't had a chance to meet until yesterday because they live out of town in opposite directions.

  • For the dinner i made a 30 slide timed presentation with pictures, video, music and stories for the happy couple.
  • I figured out how to fit ten people in my tiny apartment.

  • Made a Scarf for my friend and mentor Roxanne that looks like a green and white ribbon for spinabifida because she never had a chance to get any special necklaces or flowers at the conference and since she did an amazing job MC'ing the whole conference and being a wonderful friend i needed to do something nice for her.

  • I finally sent off an entry to this poetry contest in the city, i don't really think i will win, but entering is half the battle.
  • I've spent a lot of time with my boyfriend and sometime at his school getting to meet some really nice people and attend a few sessions on this big conference the school has every semester. It was very religious based and a tad overwhelming, but after sorting out all the information, i did find some very valuable pieces of information. which is always a good thing.

  • I have been working very hard at Physio. though every time i got there is I'm not having troubles catching an accessible bus, i have some sort of body ailment. a sore neck, a sore ribcage and more recently a sprained foot.

  • I GOT A TATTOO! it's a very stylistic dragonfly and most of the scabbing is off now and I LOVE IT! and it's located on the very front of my right ankle:



  • I am in this interpretive wheelchair incorporated dance class. I have only gone twice now but I am thoroughly enjoying the chance to move around and use all different parts of my body while also moving the chair and feeling the rhythmic movements of the wheelchair. the personal human interaction is also quite amazing. In my chair i build a bubble around myself, but in this class you have to break down those barriers, but in a very safe and very accepting environment. I've noticed that it is helping me break down that bubble in my outside life as well.

  • I will also be on the steering committee to bring a wheelchair dance program to Edmonton, and I'm very excited about that.
  • I went to a seating clinic for my chair. and after using my beast for a whole week, which was awful, i was given the test chair back, slightly modified and with really great seating! so hopefully my chair will get ordered this week and i will get it with in six weeks, cross your fingers! i also have to give this chair back on Tuesday and go back to the beast until my new one arrives :(
  • My Physio who is helping me get funding is back from vacation so we can work on getting the last $600 i need for my boots.

  • I have had a ton of doctors appointments, and i still haven't had an MRI to see if my surgery is actually working because it got overlooked in the paperwork over the summer. So hopefully i will get that soon!
  • Oh and finally i spent all week and weekend cooking and organizing and cleaning and finally hosting a huge thanksgiving dinner, and everyone left happy and excited so I count that as a great success. my friend's dad is also going to show me a book on event planning that he uses when he caters events, and he caters a lot of events. So i think he thinks i have potential! yay potential!

  • And today i get to spend at my boyfriend's curled up on his couch watching movies and drinking tea, while his mom cooks another turkey dinner. And I think i have a very good reason for wanting to stay out of the kitchen! As it is I'm bring over lots of leftovers!

so that is the short version of why i have been lax in updating my blog! i will try to be better in the future.

oh and if you want to see something really cool check this out:


First wheelchair backflip - Summer 2006
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7f1Aa-Y1x0

2 comments:

Lana said...

Should I ask about how you got locked in bathrooms?

The Paperback Princess said...

no, no, you probably shouldn't. it's too pathetic!